Saturday, November 22, 2008

Warriors Filipino Night, 11/21/08







Last night I had fun at the Oracle Arena watching the Chicago Bulls @ our Golden State Warriors. Went to the game with Rich, Jasmine & her parents, Joey, and Jeorge. Dean was there and he looked intense watching the game. Plus, I ran into some folks from high school too! As expected, saw some pinoys and pinays that I know and ALOT of people that I think I know (You know that "I'm looking at you and you are looking at me and hoping it clicks that one of us remembers the other" look LOL). BART took longer to get to the game so I missed the opening Filipino performance(s), which I heard was tinikling, but it's all good as I got my beers and my SHIRT!


Beers are expensive at any pro sportings event, but even if I don't get buzzed, they seem to make me happy when I have at least 2. As most of you know, I'm pretty quiet and like to observe, so here are some thoughts-

Tickets of course for this Filipino event were in Club 200 (upper level for those that don't know) and some dude a couple rows in front of us kept standing up throughout the game. I'm sure you can imagine all the folks behind us yelling at this guy to sit down. At first, it was annoying 'cause we had to look up at the screen to catch some of plays, but then we turned an ackward situation to an entertaining one. Although he would get up at random times, whenver the Warriors hit a 3, blocked a shot (daym on Randolph's 4 blocks!), made a dunk, we knew he would get up. So, Joey, Jeorge, and I posed for pictures with him in the background. I know.... I know... it's stupid, but if you were there, you would of jumped in too for a picture!

Derrick Rose- Wow! Because the Warriors are in the Western Conference, I don't really follow the Eastern Conference that well, so I didn't really know what to expect from Derrick Rose. Other than being the #1 pick on the Bulls and seeing some highlights on tv, I didn't expect almost every offensive move he made to be a potential highlight. Even when he missed shots, it looked smooth! I was impressed and I'll probably look at his stats throughout the season since I do fantasy basketball anyways.

Something weird- not sure if others noticed this, but there were gaps in the areas for the Filipino Night tickets. Not sure if a lot of people didn't show up, but you could see empty seats in the areas. To make the event look good, wouldn't the planners try to fill all the seats (ie. sell the seats) in the same sections so it looks like a mass of people where there! I went to the first Giants Filipino Night and that was packed like crazy! I would of thought the event planners would of pushed everyone to wear their shirts, so that people in the Oracle can look at once section and just know "hey, that must be the filipino night section." I took a look around and even if everyone wore their shirts, there were a lot of non-filipinos there. Not that I mind that, but why would they want a "Filipino Night Shirt?" I knew some Filipinos in other sections (ie lower level) that would of bought the shirt. Anyways, that was kinda interesting.

I have a couple more games on my mini-plan, plus my cousin and will get another 1-2 plans, and my work will offer periodic $15 tickets to games, so I'll post more about the Warriors. Until then..........

Oh and did I mention.............GOT MY SHIRT TOO!!!!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment