Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cupcakes?

No this isn't a poem or some piece of writing to make you contemplate life, but I'm just wondering what's the fascination with cupcakes over the last few months (or should I say 2008 to early 2009?). When people are getting married these days (yes, I go to alot of weddings, but usually too drunk come cake time), I'm seeing more wedding cupcakes. This is probably because you don't have to pay for cake cutting and it's easier to pass around, right? Also, I was walking around safeway in the cake section where I'm not supposed to be as a diabetic, I noticed a bunch of cupcake cakes of SpongeBob Square Pants instead of traditional cakes. I went to my cousin's daughter's birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese and they had cupcakes. I read one of my friend's blogs (shout out to Jay-Lo!) and she writes about how much she loves cupcakes too- hers I understand because she has a sweet tooth. Then, just the other day at the Warriors game, my buddy tells me he has to get cupcakes for his significant other....and he wants them too! LOL! So, maybe it's the diabetic in me that is trying to understand, but what's up with the cupcake fascination? With Valentine's day coming up, I know there will be more cupcakes around. Red Velvet anyone?

Just a little story, when I found out I had type 2 diabetes a few years back, I didn't know how certain foods would affect me. Of course my doctor and the instructor at the diabetes management class I took made it seem like the only thing in life that is healthy is water and lettuce. One of my co-workers at the time was also type 2 diabetic, but she was the worse example EVER of how a diabetic should be. She literally ate what she wanted and ended going home early not feeling well or went to the hospital. Her motto was if "I'm going to die, I'm going to die happy. I'm going to eat whatever I want and nobody can tell me what to do." With me being a new diabetic at the time, she didn't make me understand my condition any easier and wasn't a role model I was going to follow! Anyways, to test how I would react to certain things, we were given cupcakes with hella frosting by our supervisor at the time. She didn't want to give me one, but I insisted for my experiment. I know by having this cupcake eaten at one time that it would shoot up my blood sugar, but I wanted to see how fast and how long it would last. Being new at this, if I didn't test my limit, how would I know what my true limitations are. Most car rentals won't let you drive up to 100mph, but if you don't test it, how would you know? So, I ate the whole thing before I went home. I didn't feel anything different driving home, but once I got home I fell asleep so fast (I guess you say pre-coma). I slept from 4pm and woke up at 3am. I generally am a light sleeper (my cats wake me up at 3:30am to 4:00am when they are hungry every morning), but I slept WELL that night. I slept so WELL that one of my cats clawed me 'cause I saw the 3 lines on my arm in an attempt to wake me up. So, maybe my view of cupcakes is skewed, but I still don't see the fascination.

No comments:

Post a Comment